Answer by Noh-Joon Choo:
"This knowledge would help everyone as investors and citizens. Watching is a worthwhile 30 minutes investment."
– Bill Gates
"Forget Econ 101. Take a look at the lessons in Dalio 101."
– Andrew Ross Sorkin of The New York Times
"Explains macroeconomics in a practical way."
– Sal Khan of Khan Academy
"Ray Dalio's 'template' may be unconventional but it casts strong light on how the economy actually works."
– Paul Volcker, Chairman of the Federal Reserve (1979-1987)
- When I was an analyst at a hedge fund, I quickly learned that Ray Dalio commanded massive respect from buy-siders and investors. And this video and his papers below are some of the reasons why. Dalio, founder of Bridgewater Associates, the largest macro hedge fund in the world with $165 billion AUM recently put together a pretty cool video on the way the "Economic Machine" works. The video was inspired by a series of papers that were previously written by Dalio. These papers are linked below, as well.
- I'd urge you to watch the video and read the papers to see what you agree with and what you disagree with, but I respect him for coming up with his own framework/mental model of how the world works, as we should all try to do the same in the end. There are no experts in the investment business, I was once told.
- Papers (that elaborate on the concepts outlined in the video):
- I. HOW THE ECONOMIC MACHINE WORKS
- II. DEBT CYCLES
LEVERAGINGS & DELEVERAGINGS
- III. PRODUCTIVITY AND STRUCTURAL REFORM
WHY COUNTRIES SUCCEED AND FAIL, & WHAT SHOULD BE DONE SO FAILING COUNTRIES SUCCEED
Our newsletter:Our website: